Garage doors can wear out just like any other appliance or system in the home. To remain in good condition, doors and their mechanical components need regular tune-ups. Some homeowners wait until their garage door is broken before getting service, but preventative service can keep repair bills low, while also ensuring that your garage door remains functional. Here’s what you need to know about garage door tune-ups.
What Happens During a Garage Door Tune-Up?
Every garage door (and every service call) is different, but a typical tune-up involves the following:
- Inspect the nuts and bolts, tighten anything that has become loose.
- Inspect the wiring, check the moving parts like the motor, chains, etc.
- Run the door up and down a few times.
- Test, inspect, and clean the safety features.
- Lubricate moving parts.
- Make small repairs as needed, or identify problems and recommend big repairs if they are warranted.
Garage door tune-ups don’t take very long, but in that time, your contractor may identify safety hazards and potential damage that could cause your door to injure someone, or break down when you need it the most.
How Often Should You Get a Tune-Up?
Most garage door contractors recommend getting your garage door tune-up annually, or every other year if your garage door is still relatively new. When the opener is more than a few years old, getting a tune-up annually can prevent an inconvenient problem.
I Inspect My Garage Door Every Year. Do I Still Need a Tune-Up?
Homeowner inspections often miss signs of an impending problem. Usually, homeowners check the nuts and bolts, lubricate the parts, and then move on. This is not a substitute for an official garage door tune-up from a contractor with experience.
What Are the Benefits Of Getting a Garage Door Tune-Up?
The benefits of getting a tune-up include:
- You’ll be able to catch maintenance problems before they become serious.
- You can avoid inconvenient breakdowns that trap your car in the driveway.
- Your garage door will operate more smoothly overall.
Who Should I Contact For a Garage Door Tune-Up in Fayetteville?
If you own an automatic garage door opener and would like to get a tune-up, contact Overhead Door Company of Fayetteville. We provide tune-ups, maintenance, repairs, and replacements for the homeowners of Fayetteville and the surrounding area. Call us today to make an appointment for an annual tune-up!